Grand Tour Continental angel figures with trumpets; hand colored prints on gold paper with gold leaf highlights, in period Gothic Revival hand-carved oak frames with original wood backings, the frames decorated in fleurs-di-lis quatrefoils, etc. Probably French, circa 1880. Dimensions: 15 and 3/8" H 6.5" W.
A rare large 19th century chromolithograph of the classic Brunelli painting of kittens, titled 'Mixing the Colors." Plate #1000. Copyrighted 1896 by Amlico Publishing Co, 47 Barklay, NYC. Custom matted in a burl-fruitwood frame with gold leaf molding. Dimensions: 35" W x 29.5" H.
A rare large 19th century chromolithograph of a classic Brunelli painting of kittens, titled "Anxious Moments." Plate #101. Copyrighted 1896 by Amlico Publishing Co, 49 Barklay, NYC. Custom matted in a burl-fruitwood frame with gold leaf molding. Dimensions, framed: 35" W x 29.5" H.
“Lord William. The Property of Samuel Lawrence, Esq'r.” original colored aquatint published in 1845. William Joseph Shayer (1811-1892) was an English artist who specialized in coaching and hunting scenes. His works were popular with printmakers who sought to capitalize on the insatiable public demand for sporting images. Hundreds of different prints after Shayer's works were produced in London and beyond during the 19th century. The “Lord William” aquatint was engraved by James R. Mackrell (ca. 1814-1866) and published in 1845. An aquatint is a type of etching invented in France in the 1760s. Its characteristic feature is to give the appearance of watercolor washes. A copper or zinc plate was coated in powdered rosin and progressively etched and bathed in acid to create the desired lines and tonal variations. The distinctive “watery” look of the aquatint remained popular even after the ascent of lithograph prints in the mid 19th century. Harness racing, in which horses race at a specified gait pulling a wheeled cart called a sulky, had originated in North American in the late 17th century and the first recorded harness races in Britain were held in 1750. By the mid-19th century, it was a favored form of sport and gambling among gentlemen of means. Although races are now held at formal tracks, at the time they were usually staged as single matches between two gentlemen and their steeds over a proscribed road and/or distance. The famed Brighton Road (the modern day A23) was 51 ˝ miles Westminster Bridge to the seaside aquarium in Brighton, then a fashionable resort. Horses bred for trotting were known as “Standardbreds” because they had to be able to trot a “standard” mile in less than two and a half minutes. In his race from London to Brighton, the trotter Lord William traveled at a clip of 13.4 miles per hour, an impressive pace given the total distance.
Abstract lithograph by Brazilian artist Fayga Ostrower, signed and numbered 28/30 and dated 1958 at lower left. Mounted in the original rosewood frame. Fayga Perla Ostrower was born in Lodz, Poland in 1920, and died in Rio de Janeiro in 2001. Her family, who were Jewish (Krakowski), moved to Germany in 1924, and fled to Belgium in 1932; they emigrated to Brazil 2 years later. Fayga married Heinz Ostrower, a German historian/philosopher, and they had 2 children. She studied drawing at the Brazilian Ass'n of Fine Arts in Rio de Janeiro, and graphic arts at the Getulio Vargas Foundation. In 1948 she had a solo exhibition at Itapetininga Gallery in Sao Paolo. Her early style echoed the work of German expressionist Kathe Kollwitz. She went on to exhibit throughout Brazil and abroad. In 1952, she rec'd a Fullbright Scholarship and went to study at the Brooklyn Museum. During this time, she began to be greatly influenced by the works of Paul Cezanne, and her work took a turn past cubism into abstraction. Her work is hung in the major museums of Brazil and also in Europe and the Americas. She rec'd the Nat'l Grand Prize for Engraving at the 1957 Sao Paolo Biennale; the Internat'l Prize at the 1958 Venice Biennale; and awards at the Florence, Mexico and Buenos Aires Biennales. She lectured at Spellman College, Atlanta, and at Slade School of Fine Art, London. She was president of the Brazilian Ass'n of Arts 1963-66, and was an honorary member of the Academy of Art and Design in Florence. She rec'd the Brazilian Order of Cultural Merits in 1997. This item is on display in our gallery at OLD SAYBROOK ANTIQUES CENTER and can be seen in-person by visiting 756 MIDDLESEX AVE OLD SAYBROOK, CT 06475. For hours of operation visit: http://www.OldSaybrookAntiquesCenter.com